Resources for Older Lesbians in Victoria
The Australian Lesbian Medical Association (ALMA) have an interactive website that lists lesbian-friendly health practitioners. It also lists all the community, social groups and organisations that cater for lesbians throughout Australia in it’s links section. http://www.doclist.com.au
- Women Who Love Women Meetup Group
If the lesbian you’re visiting might like additional socialising possibilities with other lesbians, have a look at the Meetup Group “Women Who Love Women”. You might like to join to get their updates of the various events their members hold and perhaps attend with your client. She might need your help to join if she’s not computer literate. http://www.meetup.com/Women-Who-Love-Women-30/
- Elder’s Rights Advocacy - Phone: (03) 9602 3066 or 1800 700 600
Elder Rights Advocacy (ERA) offers a free, confidential and independent service to older people (or their representatives) who are receiving an Australian Government subsidised aged care service (either Community Care Package or Residential Care) in Victoria or who are being assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Service. ERA provides advocacy assistance to support older people to uphold their rights in regards to their Care Package. Their advocates are all women at the moment. http://www.era.asn.au
- Seniors Rights Victoria - Phone: 1300 368 821
Seniors Rights Victoria will advocate for people who feel that they are being abused by a relative or friend or if they believe that someone is not acting in their best interests. If it is felt that a client is not competent then a doctor's certificate attesting to the mental capacity of the client will be necessary. Clients are usually required to approach Seniors Rights Victoria themselves and ask them to act on their behalf although, at the request of the client, another person may be able to make the contact.
Local Lesbian & Gay Internet Links
- Ten Forty Matrix: An informal group of feminist lesbians over forty who have been socially and politically active in Sydney since 1987. Good resources on the website and an email newsletter.
- Val's Cafe: Val's Café was established in 2009, as a project seeking to improve the health and wellbeing of older lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people. Central to this aim is creating safe and inclusive services that recognise and value older LGBTI clients. Val's Cafe is part of the Sexual Health and Ageing program at La Trobe University's, Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS). The name Val's Café is inspired by the pioneering work of Val Eastwood who ran Val's coffee lounge, a meeting place for the ’camp’ community in early 1950s Melbourne.
- Pink Sofa: Lesbian on-line meeting and dating website.
- Wayward Women Walkers: A non-profit organisation promoting good health and social well-being for lesbians.
- GLHV: Gay and Lesbian Health Victoria (GLHV) is a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) health and wellbeing policy and resource unit. GLHV is funded by the Victorian Government and sits within the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS), La Trobe University. Supplies education resources and training in HOW2 provide inclusive services to LGBTI people.
- Rainbow Tick Accredited Organisations: ‘The Rainbow Tick Accreditation Program supports organisations to understand and implement LGBTI inclusive service delivery, and provides national recognition for those that meet the Rainbow Tick Standards. Rainbow Tick Accreditation provides assurance to LGBTI consumers and staff that an organisation will be responsive to their needs. Some of these accredited organisations provide Aged Care Services and others are more generalist health care providers.’
International Lesbian Internet Links
Other Internet Links
- www.gayscape.com: A complete guide to anything gay, lesbian, or bisexual on the internet.
- HRC FamilyNet: HRC FamilyNet is a website maintained by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation devoted to the issues of concern to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families.
Based in the U.S.
- www.sageusa.org: The Lesbian and Gay Aging Issues Network of the American Society of Aging. Great resources including regular newsletter.
- http://www.gaylesbianretiring.org/: The Gay & Lesbian Association of Retiring Persons, Inc. (GLARP) is a non-profit public benefit corp. founded in 1996 to develop and operate senior housing and to educate on senior issues. The website has information on all the known efforts in the U.S. to build senior housing for GLBT citizens and those who appreciate them.
The Alarming Statistics Of Substance Abuse Among LGBTQ People As much as 30% of the LGBTQ demographic abuse substances, compared to 9% in the heterosexual population.
In most cases, drugs and alcohol are a way for a person to deal with problems in their lives. The fact is – many people within the LGBTQ have to deal with way more problems than the average person. They for one can experience higher levels of stress, social stigmas, and discrimination. Therefore, this leads to much higher substance abuse rates compared to heterosexual people.
Like us on Facebook! Keep up to date with the Matrix Guild Victoria